When it comes to weight loss, we are always trying to keep our calorie intake to a minimum. It is not easy to control the hunger pangs or cravings when on a diet or workout regime. To satisfy our appetite and yet eat healthy is the balance that can help us in our weight loss journey.
In this article, we’ve narrowed down 12 delicious and healthy snacks for weight loss. They include ingredients that you can easily find at home or your local grocery market – nothing fancy!
Here is a list of some of the snacks you can munch on throughout the day, whether at home or office:
- Fruit bowl: Perhaps the most healthy combination for snack time is a fruit bowl. You can combine apple, bananas, pineapple, grapes, kiwis, plums, just any sort of fruits that are in season, and get yourself a delicious bowl of fresh, juicy fruits! It is super easy to make, just cut up some fruits, season them if you want, or simply let the fruit juices release themselves to get a fruity, healthy mix. The beneficial antioxidants in fruits especially will help purify your system in addition to being delicious.
- Mixed nuts: Keep a jar of mixed nuts at your office desk or home. It gives you a healthy alternative for something to munch on when you crave some stuff. Handfuls of nuts throughout the day can serve as a good snack instead of you gobbling down calories that you later regret.
- Roasted chickpeas: Roast chickpeas at home with their skin on, or get a packet of roasted chickpeas from your local grocery store. This too can be stored in a jar at home or office and snacked on. They are good for weight loss, budget friendly and fulfilling.
- Sandwiches: Use brown or whole-wheat bread with low-fat fillings for sandwiches. You can easily grill chicken or your favorite kind of meat, chop up some veggies, sauce it all up in bread slices and get yourself a delicious snack to munch on! Salad leaves, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, etc. are the healthy addition to your grilled/baked meat sandwich.Avoid fried options and go for grills/baking as they are not “oily” alternatives. Even if you don’t want a fancy sandwich, you can just have bread slices with your favorite low-fat butter, cheese, and diet jam.
- Oatmeal porridge: Oats cooked in milk are a healthy and fulfilling snack. You can easily store some porridge in your fridge too. They add to the variety and number of snacks you can have for weight loss, given that they are less in calories yet fulfill your appetite with one, grainy bowl of oatmeal porridge.Get a tin can from your local grocery market for a month long or so supply of oatmeal. You can make different low calorie desserts from oats too with a combination of fruits to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Greek Yogurt and mixed berries: This cool and yummy fruity combination will give you a fresh and healthy snack to suit your cravings for something that is subtly sweet.
- Kale chips: Kale is a highly beneficial leafy green. Instead of munching on oil-dripping fried chips, blanch some kale in water and eat these kale chips with a tangy dip. Snack-time will surely made better by this combo.
- Salads: Salads are among the easiest and healthiest option while on a weight loss regime. Mix up salad greens, olive oil, boiled chicken, sauces, dressings and fruits even. It will be a healthy alternative with multiple antioxidant benefits too! Just remember to include more leafy greens as they are the best source of nutrients.
- Hard-boiled eggs: If you lack the inspiration to cut and mix or cook even, simply put some eggs to the boil. Hard-boiled eggs can be eaten plain, with tea or bread. It all depends on you. But this is a quick, ready in 5-10 min option for a protein boost.
- Turkey jerky with mustard: Turkey jerky is some good lean meat. Pair it up with mustard, raisins or whatever suits your taste buds to give yourself a meaty snack treat.
- Banana split: If you’re looking for something healthy and sweet, banana split is a yummy option. Layer upon slices of bananas, low-fat cream and mixed nuts. It will be a sweet, crunchy and creamy experience, all in one.You can add condiments as you like, but this is one of the easiest and quickest desserts when you want to satisfy your craving for something sweet.
- Boiled/Baked/Grilled chicken (or any other meat) : Boiling, baking and grilling are the options that use minimal to no oil. So if you want to have something meaty yet cholesterol free or with less fat, then these are the options for you.Boil, grill or bake any kind of meat till it’s cooked and tender, add a bit of seasoning to your liking and you’re ready with your snack. You can easily refrigerate this and even use it for your sandwiches, salads, etc. without the hassle of cooking again and again. These options are even good for a full-on steak meal with veggies and sauces.
We based this article on the easiest and quickest snack options (eatables majorly) with easily available ingredients. Smoothies and milkshakes are also another option, if you’re looking for healthy drinks in your snack time. They help fulfill the gap between your meal times without you resorting to less healthier options.
The key to a delicious snack is keeping the calorie amount in check. So whatever you consume should contain healthier alternatives instead of being loaded with calories.
Buy fresh veggies and fruits on a regular basis to avoid food poisoning. It’s just a good hygienic measure to keep in mind. Only store or refrigerate those things that do not get spoiled easily. You sure don’t want to waste money on your daily grocery budget!
Lastly, all the greens and fruits might bore you. It is best to keep a variety of food for snacking and munching to not let yourself be demotivated by your weight loss drive. Also, keep your food interesting by taking care of the texture – the crunch, savory, sweet, tangy and creamy part of the snack. Keep a combination of meat, greens, fruits and veggies, along with other smoothie blends for your snack time!