Anavar is the trade name for Oxandrolone and belongs to the class of anabolic steroids. The term ‘steroid’ is associated with quite controversies due to the misuse of this class of drug for muscle building and enhancing the athletic performance but Anavar is one of the safest anabolic steroid owing to its well-tolerated nature.
Steroids are organic compounds playing a diverse function in human life from being part of basic structure of cells to important hormones in our body. The classification of steroids is also quite varied depending upon the structure and function. However, Anavar is covered under anabolic, so a few words about the anabolic steroids is mandatory.
Anabolic steroids are synthetic versions of male sex hormones. They can be used therapeutically for a wide variety of conditions as delayed puberty to induce muscle growth and to manage bone pain.
However, its use out of the therapeutic domain can cause serious side effects, both short-term and long-standing. Thus, the use of anabolic-androgenic drugs should be a matter of cautious approach. The analysis of Anavar will consider its use in the same scenario.
The background of Anavar
Oxandrolone is a dihydrotestosterone derivative and is commercialized by the name Anavar. It was released in the early 1960s by the company, G.D Searle, with claims to many therapeutic indications.
In 1989, the company withdrew from its production due to an intense control of FDA over the marketing and release of such drugs. The drug came back in the market, with the backing of Bio-Technology General CORP (presently known as Savient) in 1995.
The functional traits of Anavar
A synthetic edition, Anavar is a DHT hormone that is structurally modified with greatly increased anabolic activity and reduced metabolic breakdown. The hormone has the ability
- to retain nitrogen in the muscles
- inhibit glucocorticoids ( hormones responsible for muscle wasting)
- decrease Sex Hormone Binding Globulins
- increased red blood cell count
- binds to androgen receptors, reduce thyroid-binding globulin, increase thyroxin-binding pre-albumin
An overall effect of all these functions is
- Anabolic atmosphere is created
- an increase in free testosterone levels in the body enhancing their efficiency
- overall muscle build up
- enhanced cardiac and muscle cell endurance
- increased lipolysis
- the last function acts as a catalyst to T3 utilization and increased fat burning
The indications for the use of Anavar
Anavar can be used by both men and women. Some of its indications for use are
- weight gain purposes as in cases of severe infections and post surgery
- after prolong use of corticosteroids
- treatment of osteoporosis and pain management
- for improving the bone density
- treatment of hepatitis
- treatment of growth retardation in children
- enhancement of athletic performance
Side effects of Anavar
Anavar is usually prescribed by a doctor after evaluating the benefits to an individual, and if they outweigh the risks, treatment is initiated. Some of the common side effects are
- nausea and vomiting
- skin color changes
- altered sex drive
- changes in skin texture with hair loss and acne
- allergic reaction
Some of the unlikely but serious side effects are
- mental changes as anxiety, depression
- mood alterations as anger issues
- sleep troubles and snoring
For men, some of the side effects may be too serious to get a doctor’s consultation promptly
- any trouble urinating
- breast tenderness and swelling
- frequent and prolonged erections that may be painful
In case of females, the following side effects may need prompt considerations
- abnormal hair growth on face and body
- hoarseness and deepening of the voice
- menstrual irregularities
This drug can cause water retention in the body and may worsen any prevailing heart condition. Some of the serious signs that may require a doctor’s attention are
- swelling of ankles, hands, and feet
- decreased exercise endurance
- unusual tiredness
- shortness of breath on lying down
Anavar can cause serious liver damage like liver failure, cysts, and tumors. Observe for any signs and symptoms of liver disease and report them promptly to your doctor.
- Yellowing tint of skin and eyes
- Dark urine
- Sudden or persistent abdominal pain
Any precautions to the use of Anavar
Anavar is a steroid based drug and this fact calls for a very cautious approach to initiating its use. Some of the safety measures to be taken are
- A detailed medical history should be provided to the physician about any heart, liver or kidney problems, breast and prostate cancer in men, mineral imbalances, diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol imbalance.
- Any history of allergic reactions
- Caution is advised in elderly and children (high-risk band)
- Close monitoring of blood sugar levels in case of diabetes
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding are contraindications to the use of Anavar
Dosage and duration instructions for Anavar
Men require a large dose for Anavar to exert its effects, ranging from a minimum of 50mg to 80mg per day. For women, a low dose complies with fewer side effects, with a minimum of 10mg to a maximum of 20mg per day.
For women who may experience virilization early during treatment, due to their genetic make-up, religious adherence to the recommended dose can minimize the side effects. Similarly, men who experience thinning hair and baldness too early during the treatment owe it to their genetic make-up and can start with low doses.
Anavar can be indicated for longer periods owing to its mild effects. The duration of treatment with Anavar can be stretched up to 6-8 weeks, unlike other anabolic steroids.
Consumer reviews revealed that if taken without considering the side effects and medical history, Anavar could be detrimental to your health. However, its efficacy is conditional with a safe prescription in accordance with medical history. If you are looking for a leaner physique and some fat thrashing, Anavar can be of great help.
According to WebMD, consumers ranked Anavar a four out of five stars for effectiveness, ease of use and satisfaction.
Anavar is found effective for muscle building, cutting of fat stores and as a female steroid. However, its use as a bulking agent was not at all profound or impressive.
Cost of Anavar
The cost of Anavar is about $50-$59.99 per bottle that suffices a month supply.
An important point to consider while making a purchase of any anabolic steroid is not to make a compromise on quality. The situation is spot on for Anavar, if you are getting Anavar at a cost of less than a dollar per tablet, your purchase alert should be on. The average cost for Anavar per pill come to around $2, ensuring you are getting what you paid for. Stay away from any underground deals, no matter how cheap they may get.
Conclusion on Anavar
Anavar is a mild anabolic steroid and if used cautiously and according to your physician’s advice, it can bring benefits matching with its functional traits. Its muscle building and fat burning properties make it suitable to be used by athletes and gym enthusiasts to get a lean physique.
Anavar is a mild testosterone suppressant, unlike other anabolic steroids, a feature that is dose dependent. For women, Anavar is mild enough to be called a ‘girl steroid’ and the risks to the development of male characteristics are low, however, caution is advised during its use.